Tips for Filing Flexible Spending Account Claims

Filing a flexible spending and health reimbursement claim can be easy. Staff in the Department of Human Resources’ Benefits Division provided some tips and tricks to avoid issues with claims for Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (DC FSAs).

If you follow these tips, filing claims will be a breeze!

Do it now! It’s a good idea to submit claims as you incur them throughout the year. While you have until March 31, 2019 to file 2018 claims, you don’t need to wait to get reimbursed for approved medical expenses. It’s your money after all. Just have your receipt ready—you’ll need the information on it.

There’s an app for that. Get the ASIFlex Mobile App to manager your claims. You can check your balance, submit claims and more from anywhere and at any time. It’s free and available in the Apple Store and Google Play.

Go green! Sign up for direct deposit and email or text notification to save time, money and the environment. Log in to your online account to make these elections or fax or mail this form.

Get paid now and maybe later too. While Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account claims can only be paid out for amounts actually contributed to your account year to date, this does not mean that you shouldn’t submit claims for more than your current balance.

You can get a partial reimbursement now and once the additional funds are contributed, the pending amount will be paid to you.

Here’s an example: You send your son to summer daycare. It costs $400, but you’ve only contributed $300 to your Dependent Care FSA so far this year. You can file the claim for the full $400 now and get the $300 you contributed paid out now. Then once you’ve contributed the additional $100 from payroll deductions, that remaining balance will be paid out to you automatically.

If you submit the claim before waiting for your available balance to hit your expense amount—it saves you from forgetting, losing the receipt or spending the money elsewhere.

Don’t forget your dependent children. You can file a claim for your dependents—the key here is that they are certified in the ASIFlex system. This task must be completed every year and for every dependent. To certify your dependents you’ll need their date of birth, social security number and the name of the employer providing your health coverage. Here’s how.

Have additional questions about an FSA or HRA? Visit the Benefits Division on InSite.