Double Check Your W-4/DE 4 Tax Withholdings


Central Payroll Administration has an important year-end reminder for you—review your tax withholding allowances before the start of 2019. The W-4/DE 4 forms are used to calculate the federal and state income tax withholdings from your paycheck.

If your filing status (married/single) or number of withholding allowances has changed since your last W-4/DE 4 filing, or if you claimed exempt status on your last filing and are no longer eligible, you must submit an amended W-4/DE 4 within 10 days after the change occurs through PeopleSoft Employee Self-Service. Step by step instructions for Federal and for State.

If you are currently eligible for exempt status and wish to continue claiming exemption from withholding in 2019, you must resubmit your signed W-4/DE 4 card to Central Payroll between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, 2019. If your card has not been received in Central Payroll before the deadline, your income tax withholding will be returned to your previous withholding status (or single with zero withholding allowances, if you have no previous withholding status).

If your filing status and allowances are unchanged, and if you are not claiming exemption from withholding, you do not need to submit a new W-4/DE 4.

If you have any questions about your W-4/DE 4 filing, please call Central Payroll at 858-694-2051 or refer to the W-4 instructions on the IRS website and the DE 4 instructions on the EDD website.

Please note that 2019 W-4/DE 4 forms are currently unavailable. The IRS anticipates releasing the updated forms before the end of the year. In the meanwhile, review your paystub and learn about your 2018 withholdings.