The County Parks and Recreation Department is offering a free night of camping to celebrate Earth Day on Thursday.
"What better way to celebrate Earth Day than by getting outdoors?” said Parks Director Brian Albright. “Our campgrounds are places where nature converges with fresh air, clean water and beautiful landscapes, and on Earth Day it’s all free.” The campgrounds will host Earth Day events and activities. Locations include:
Agua Caliente in the Anza Borrego Desert: A popular location in the winter due to its hot springs, which feed two outdoor and one indoor pool. Wildflowers should be bursting with color in April and May. Events.
Dos Picos in Ramona: Sheltered by steep, boulder-strewn mountains and ancient oak groves, this park offers a variety of ranger-led programs, including rock painting, nature hikes, and fishing.
Guajome in Oceanside: Just minutes from the ocean, it features a small lake, miles of hiking trails and the historic Rancho Guajome Adobe, offering insight into life in the area in the 1800s.
Lake Morena in Campo: Features fishing, boating, and hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail. Events
Potrero in Potrero: Quiet solitude best describes this park, but it’s also near some adventurous places such as historic Campo and the Mexican town of Tecate. Events.
Sweetwater Summit in Bonita: Offers miles of trails for hikers, bikers and horseback riders as well as spectacular views of the Sweetwater Valley.
Vallecito in the Anza Borrego Desert: Site of the reconstructed sod Butterfield Stage Station.
William Heise in Julian: Peaceful mountain meadows provide the setting for miles of trails.
Note the following rules and guidelines for the Earth Day camping special:
1. Offer is valid for the night of April 22, 2010 only.
2. Offer applies to campsite fees only. All other fees are non-applicable.
3. Cannot be combined with any other offer.
4. Offer is non-refundable and cannot be redeemed for cash, credit or
5. One offer per customer. Cannot be combined with any other offer,
discounts or promotional item.
6. Offer applies to individual campsites only.
7. Subject to availability and is offered on a first come first serve basis.
8. Reservations can be made in person, online or by phone. Advanced
reservation is encouraged.
To book your reservation, click here.